Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 15 - Bible Study

Passage: Matthew 6

While you can read the passage above (I selected KJV, but you can adjust to another version if you prefer once you get there), I summarize the passage as follows:

God knows what I need before I do. I need to do good works for the glory of God and not to receive praise from people. Seek first His Kingdom and don't sweat the small stuff.

If we ever needed an example that we can learn from anyone and anything, even if we don't see them as our "equals", this passage provides examples to us of birds and flowers. They don't pray or meditate or worry about clothing and food, but they receive it just the same. They just fulfill their function and everything they need is given to them.

Usually, I say that worrying is one of my best things. Now, worry is NOT a good thing, but judging by the amount of time I spend doing it ... I seem to be rather talented in this regard. I want to rely on God and stop all the worrying. It is not productive. Worrying doesn't do anything for me and doesn't help me get anything done. I need to stop all the useless worry.

There are several commands to follow:

3But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; ...

17But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; 18That thou appear not unto men to fast,...

20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, ...

31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I am a pack rat...which is kind of funny if I think about it, because we don't have a lot of stuff (no cell phones, mp3 players, electronics, etc) But I tend to hoard, like having a lot of 'things' around me can make things safer or better. I need to strip away the stuff and just keep the items which can help me and my family. I need to separate the wheat from the chaff. That which is chaff for me might be wheat for someone else. Maybe it can be recycled. If not, it's still got to go.

So, how can I apply Matthew 6 to my life today?

The happy countenance thing is always a challenge for me. And staying close to God, so I don't get tripped up. That should make for a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment